Monday, December 10, 2012

What to expect while I am expecting :)

Sorry I took a little hiatus. I needed some time to balance some things in my life and get back into the groove of things. A little update, I am currently 15 weeks pregnant and experienced quite a few problems in my first trimester. 

Intense athletic training can lower progesterone levels in women. This is why women athletes have a hard time getting pregnant and some do not have a menstrual cycle. For those that don't know anything about this, Ive included the information I have gathered about progesterone and pregnancy. I almost lost my baby, from my first appointment I was high risk and  having to go in every two weeks. The doctor put me on a high dose of oral progesterone with possibility of shots if it didn't work. It made me very. Twice we heard no heart beat...I can't explain the state of panic that puts a pregnant mother in. Low progesterone if the LEADING cause of miscarriage in early pregnancy. Some women can't even conceive because of low hormone levels. Luckily my doctor caught it in time and I am finally out of high risk and can continue normal activity. After taking time off in the gym I am slowly working my way up to 5 days a week. Limited cardio because during pregnancy your heart rate shouldnt be high for longer than 15 minutes at a time with a 10 minute cool down. Makes the cardio classes I was going to like BODYCOMBAT or BODYATTACK impossible to do during pregnancy. Im going to have help keeping this up during the pregnancy. 

What to expect when I am expecting....
1) Meal plans. Im determined to NOT gain 65 pounds like I did with Nolan. The unhealthy weight gain lead to many other problems that could have been dangerous for me and my unborn child. I will keep up with my meals on MyFitnessPal like before and share. Now I will be eating good calories and not trying to burn more than I eat. 

2) Weight gain and photos- as much as I DON'T want to do that part its important that you see the progress. Mainly for the purpose of seeing that it is possible to stay fit while pregnant, maintain a healthy weight, and also how long it takes to bounce back when you take care of yourself pregnant. 

3) Pregnancy Fitness- you cannot do some exercises while pregnant so I will give you alternatives to nail the same muscle group but not endanger yourself or growing baby. 

4) Humor- Why should the funny stories or experiences stop during the pregnancy? Might get even more entertaining for followers. 

5) Tips from experts- I would never want to put false information out there so I will continue to get information from trainers, instructors, certified professionals. 


Information on Low Progesterone: 
taken from : www.squidoo.com/progesteronemiscarriage

  

Why is Progesterone so Important during Pregnancy?

As a result of talking to many women going through miscarriage scares. I have learned a bit about the importance of progesterone and how this hormone affects pregnancies.  As a result, I believe that a number of doctors downplay the significance of supplements during the first trimester.

I am hoping the information on this page will educate women on the importance of progesterone, whether it might be an issue in their own pregnancy and whether they should discuss this issue with their physicians.

I am not a medical professional. The information I share is meant to supplement the information given you by your doctor. If you feel your doctor is not doing enough for you or not willing to listen to your concerns, I strongly encourage you to take what you've learned here and get a second opinion.
Progesterone, Why is it so Important?

the keep-it-simple version

After reading the stories at Saving Babies Online I am really interested in the role progesterone plays in miscarriage. I would just like to pass on a bit of what I've learned in hopes it may help somebody else.

The Importance of Progesterone:
Progesterone is important not only to keeping a pregnancy but also may determine whether or not you conceive. During your cycle, the uterine lining grows thicker in anticiption of a fertilized egg and progesterone helps ensure the endometrium (lining) is ready. Progesterone is responsible for preparing the uterus for implantation. If you have low progesterone, chances are the baby will not be able to implant which may result in a chemical pregnancy. And, low progesterone may keep you from ovulating. Keep in mind that once both estrogen and progesterone levels drop, your body prepares to break down the lining and thus your period begins. If your progesterone is dropping during pregnancy, you are in danger of losing the baby.

Some symptoms of low progesterone:
If you have short cycles (25 days or under), you may have low progesterone. As women age, progesterone may decrease as well. Other symptoms may be severe PMS and weight gain. Stress, whichs stimulates cortisol production, will also decrease progesterone production making conception more difficult and could jeopardize a pregnancy. Progesterone actually produces a more calming effect than cortisol which increases stress. INTENSE ATHLETIC TRAINING CAN LOWER THESE HORMONE LEVELS!

Natural or Synthetic (man-made) Progesterone:
Although I'm reading alot on the benefits of both synthetic and natural progesterone in maintaining a pregnancy, there does seem to be some consensus that synthetic progesterone may cause some birth defects. I haven't really seen that those studies are reproduceable and am unsure how valid they are, but the risk of birth defects should be taken into consideration. Natural progesterone, however, looks to be much safer with no side effects as long as you don't overload yourself with it. Also topical progesterone and injected progesterone seems to be more effective than progesterone taken orally.

Hope this helps

No comments:

Post a Comment